Are You a Candidate?
Use our BMI Calculator to find out if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery.
Supplied by BMI Calculator USA
People who wish to undergo Bariatric Surgery should consult with Dr. Christopher J. Hart, Dr. William H. Johnson, Dr. Michael Williams and Dr. Brendon Curtis to determine whether or not they are qualified candidates. Here is a list of items doctors consider:
- Morbidly obese, have a BMI of 40 or higher, or have a BMI of 35-39.9 with one or more severe medical conditions related to morbid obesity, such as high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, osteoarthritis, and acid reflux disease
- 18-65 years old
- Unsuccessfully attempted to lose weight through multiple documented weight loss methods
- Free from drug or alcohol dependence
- Free from emotional, medical, psychological, or other special conditions that may complicate obesity surgery
- Thoroughly understand obesity surgery and what it can and cannot accomplish
- Maintain realistic goals an d expectations for obesity surgery
- Highly motivated and committed to making sensible nutrition and lifestyle changes that are necessary for successful weight loss after obesity surgery
- Note: the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recently approved LAP-BAND® System surgery for patients with at least a 30 BMI plus one or more comorbidity, a severe health condition related to obesity, conditions This new approval makes it possible for millions of patients who may not have qualified for LAP BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding surgery in the past to become candidates for the procedure.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are other specific factors that are important in determining whether an individual makes a good candidate for an obesity surgery procedure. Dr. Christopher J. Hart, Dr. William H. Johnson, Dr. Michael Williams and Dr. Brendon Curtis are experienced surgeons who can determine which obesity surgery procedure is right for you:
Atlanta General & Bariatric Surgery Center located in Johns Creek, GA, and serves patients from all over the Metro Atlanta area and beyond as well as patients from out of state. Patients often travel from other states such as Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, and others. We have put together a travel guide for your convenience. Click here for information regarding travel