Are You a Candidate?
People who wish to undergo Bariatric Surgery should consult with Dr. Christopher J. Hart, Dr. William H. Johnson, and Dr. Michael Williams to determine whether or not they are qualified candidates. These are the requirements for qualified candidates:
- 18-65 years old
- 60 pounds more than ideal body weight
- Morbidly obese–have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or have a BMI of 35-39.9 with one or more severe medical conditions related to morbid obesity, such as high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, osteoarthritis, and acid reflux disease
- Unsuccessfully attempted to lose weight through multiple documented weight loss methods
- Free from drug or alcohol dependence
- Free from emotional, medical, psychological, or other special conditions that may complicate obesity surgery
- A thorough understanding of obesity surgery and what it can and cannot accomplish
- Maintain realistic goals and expectations for obesity surgery
- Highly motivated and committed to making sensible nutrition and lifestyle changes necessary for successful weight loss after obesity surgery
- Note: the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recently approved LAP BAND® System surgery for patients with at least a 30 BMI plus one or more co-morbidity conditions, a severe health condition related to obesity. This new approval makes it possible for millions of patients who may not have qualified for LAP BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding surgery in the past to become candidates for the procedure.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are other specific factors that are important in determining whether an individual makes a good candidate for an obesity surgery procedure. Dr. Christopher J. Hart, Dr. William H. Johnson, and Dr. Michael Williams are experienced surgeons who can determine which obesity surgery procedure is right for you:
Atlanta General & Bariatric Surgery Center located in Johns Creek, GA, and serves patients from all over the Metro Atlanta area and beyond as well as patients from out of state. We have put together a travel guide for your convenience. Click here for information regarding travel