Choosing to have weight loss surgery involves a commitment and making lifestyle changes. It is important not only to know the changes, risks, and benefits but also to understand how life will be after surgery. Family participation and support is highly important as you begin the journey to a new life. The decision to have weight-loss surgery should include careful consideration and a consultation with an expert bariatric surgeon such as Dr. Christopher J. Hart, Dr. William H. Johnson, Dr. Michael Williams, or Dr. Brendon Curtis at Atlanta General & Bariatric Surgery Center.
Many bariatric surgery patients see their surgery date as the beginning of a new chapter in their lives. On the day of surgery, a specially-trained staff member will guide you from admission all the way through to discharge.
Are You a Candidate?
Weight loss surgery is not for everyone. Our program follows specific guidelines to determine which candidates are best suited for bariatric surgery. Dr.Christopher J. Hart, Dr. William H. Johnson, Dr. Michael Williams and Dr. Brendon Curtis at Atlanta General & Bariatric Surgery Center takes several factors into consideration:
- Existing health conditions
- Body Mass Index (BMI) – General BMI requirements–greater than 35 with comorbidities or greater than 40 with or without comorbidities
- Ability to handle significant lifestyle changes
- Smoking history–surgery patients must be a non-smoker for at least six weeks
- Non-surgical attempts at weight loss–patients must have attempted other forms of weight loss prior to considering surgery
- Willingness to commit to a healthy, active lifestyle
- Patient’s mental preparedness for surgery
- Educated on the benefits, risks, and lifestyle changes associated with bariatric surgery
Atlanta General & Bariatric Surgery Center located in Johns Creek, GA, attracts patients from all over the metro Atlanta area and beyond includingSTone Mountain, Dahlonaga, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Milton, woodstock, and Marietta, GA. Our Board Certified experts provide a carefully structured weight loss program for all patients in a comfortable, caring environment to help them through every step of their weight loss journey and beyond.